Contact our Wildlife Helpdesk
- Phone - 01392 260884
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to us - Wildlife Helpdesk, Devon Wildlife Trust, Cricklepit Mill, Commercial Road, Exeter, EX2 4AB
- Visit us - Come in and see us at 27 Commercial Road, Exeter,
just next to our headquarters at Cricklepit Mill.
Wildlife Helpdesk opening hours
Our volunteer-run helpdesk is open Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm, although depending on cover we may sometimes have to close at lunchtimes.
Find a plant or animal
Our nature reserves
If you have found the Wildlife Helpdesk useful, why not become a member and help support our work?
Wildlife Helpdesk Information Centre
Wildlife Helpdesk is a service run by Devon Wildlife Trust staff and volunteers. We manage and respond to all of the wildlife related enquiries which come into Devon Wildlife Trust.
What types of enquiries do we answer?We will help with any wildlife related enquiry, and even if we don’t know the answer, we will find you the details of someone who does! The types of questions asked may fall in to one of the following categories:
- Questions about DWT – our campaigns, our nature reserves for example
- When and where to see certain species in Devon
- Species identification (Photos are required for an accurate identification)
- Species sightings
- Problem species (eg. Bees or bats in your loft, badgers in your garden, invasive species such as Rhododendron (left)) - sometimes wildlife can be dangerous or disruptive - we can advise on species which can cause concern
- Habitat management (eg. Woodland or wildflower meadow creation)
- Conservation (eg. How to protect certain areas) and planning issues
- Wildlife welfare - if you find a sick or injured creature or are concerned about damage to plants and trees we can direct you to someone who can help
- Gardening and ponds
To help get you started on your wildlife enquiry, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page. However, if you cannot find the answer to your questions on these pages, please don’t hesitate to contact our Wildlife Helpdesk Service.
Whether you have a query about badgers or foxes in your garden,
want help managing your land, have a query about the law on planning and
development and wildlife, or would just like something identified, this
page should be able to help you!
*Please note, we do not have the facilities to rescue or look after sick or injured animals or birds. If you find an injured creature please contact either Devon Wildlife Hospital on 07731 552909 or email email@example.com
What happens to your enquiry?
We log every enquiry on our database, and will endeavour to respond to you as soon as possible. Sometimes we may have to refer your enquiry on to another member of staff, so please bear with us. As we are a charity, our resources are limited, and sometimes it may take a bit of time to look into your enquiry. If we don’t have the facility in-house to answer your question, we will give you the details of someone else who can help!
Visit our Wildlife Information Centre
Our new Wildlife
Helpdesk Information Centre contains a variety of wildlife resources. We have books that you can browse through, glossy ID charts, fact sheets, a microscope to get you up close to your mystery wildlife object and an interactive screen with a wide range of information and games. And don’t forget our helpful volunteers and staff who can assist you with your wildlife enquiry.
Volunteer on Wildlife Helpdesk
The Helpdesk would not happen without volunteers. If you have good communication and interpersonal skills and know how to use a computer then please contact us. Training will be given, and we hold much of the information you will need to deal with enquires. This role is a great way to improve your wildlife skills! For further details on visit the Volunteer Opportunities webpage.