Filter by habitatLowland heaths Rivers and waterways Woodlands Grasslands Hedgerows Coast Urban and gardens Marine Farmland Moorland Ponds and pools Fen Culm grassland
Reserves - Halsdon
SS 554 131/ EX19 8RF
North West Devon near Dolton
River, Woodland, semi-improved grassland and Culm grassland
The Pennon Environment Fund have awarded DWT around £5000 to spend on improving the scrapes at Halsdon along with fencing the river bank at the reserve.
- Work party at Halsdon DWT nature reserve 7 Feb
- Annual meeting and talk - 18 Feb
- Work Party - Halsdon DWT nature reserve - 21 Feb
Wonderful riverside meadows and woodland walks. One of the best places to spot otters.
What to see
- Otters(all year round)
- Kingfishers (all year round)
- Bluebells (Spring)
- Fungi (Autumn)
- James Ravilious Historic Photography Trail
- Easy access path along the river
Halsdon is the favourite nature reserve of many Devon Wildlife Trust members. It holds many attractions. Open hillside pasture edged by gorse bushes, paths through woodland, riverside meadows, the deserted ruins of a water-mill, all are here, along with a fine stretch of one of Devon’s grandest rivers, the Torridge.